Hiring a contractor to help you conduct home improvement project can be costly. The professional in home improvement usually has a price standard for certain home improvements like kitchen remodeling or bathroom remodeling. Well, it is worthy to hire a contractor when you need to conduct major home improvement. However, what if you only need to repaint your kitchen cabinets? Do you also need to hire a contractor to do such work?
For minor home improvement like repainting kitchen cabinets, most people like to conduct the DIY project. This DIY project has some benefits; especially on the budget that you have to spend. When conducting DIY home improvement project, you only need to spend money for the materials needed. There is no need to pay for the worker, since you handle the project by yourself.
So, here are the steps on how you can repaint your kitchen cabinet by yourself:
1. Determine the colors that you want to use for your cabinets. It is a good idea to visualize your expected cabinet color using Corel or similar programs. Make sure that you only choose colors that you really want; thus, you can get the maximum satisfaction when the project is completed.
2. The second thing to do is cleaning the cabinets. Usually, food residue sticks on the cabinet surface and you should clean it first before painting. If you want to make the cleaning process much easier, just remove the cabinet doors. You can put them on the floor and start the cleaning process more easily. This way allows you to reach the most hidden parts of your cabinets.
3. Once you have cleaned your cabinets thoroughly, now you come to the most important parts of this project. Sand the cabinets are the next thing that you have to do. Make sure that you sand every part of the cabinets carefully to get the best result. It may spend much time to sand the cabinet but if you handle this part well, you will find that the pain durability will be increasing.
4. The fourth step is applying primer to the cabinets that you have been sanded. This step is particularly important if you want to repaint your cabinets with different color. Since there are some primer types available in the market, you had better find one that totally fits your need. The type of primer that you will use depends on the paint type. If you would like to use an oil-based paint, then it will be great to use an interior oil-based primer and use the shellac based primer if you want to use latex paint. Both primers carry strong odor; therefore, make sure that you cover your nose with the mask when applying it.
5. Now, this is the core of this project - painting the cabinets! To make this step generates great result; don't forget to use the quality paint brush. Apply thin layers when painting and you will find out that your cabinets will present the new look again.
Enjoy your DIY home improvement project and get the fresh atmosphere in your kitchen.