Single family home owners will be required to install carbon monoxide detectors starting July 2011, by a recent bill (Senate Bill No. 183) signed into law by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas, that can cause death if breathed in a closed environment. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is produced when any fossil fuel such as gas, coal, oil or wood is burnt without enough oxygen. Carbon Monoxide is often referred to as the "silent killer" because it is virtually undetectable without using detection technology.

A side note, if you are ever operating machinery that produces exhaust in your house, make sure to open the windows to get outside air ventilation. I heard a story of a construction company worker who was running a gas fueled generator inside a home during a remodel that died from CO poisoning, it's very dangerous!

According to the statistics, up to 40 California residents die each year from CO poisoning. These deaths are avoidable. Symptoms of CO Poisoning:



Visual Problems

Dry Throat



These symptoms are very similar to flu like symptoms. Quickly identifying if you are experiencing CO poisoning can save your life.

A carbon Monoxide Detector is relatively inexpensive and can be purchased for under $30. Many carbon Monoxide detector's also double as smoke detector's so it is quite easy to retrofit.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors will be required in all Single Family homes that have a fossil-fuel burning appliance, fireplace or attached garage. July 1, 2011. Some common sources of CO in the home include open flames, space heaters, water heaters, blocked chimneys or running a car inside the garage.

Landlord of residential rental units will be required to comply with the Carbon Monoxide Detector law by Jan. 1, 2013.

Article Source: