My first woodwork project was a wooden storage shed. I needed to get my lawnmower and other garden tools out of the garage so that I could use it for parking my wife's car. I had no idea how to build one, but soon after pricing them at the local hardware store, I decided I could build one for a lot less than buying one.

First I needed a plan for my shed, so I scoured the hardware store, and found that the books they had only had 1 or 2 plans each, and none that were appealing. I went to local library, and found some books from the 1950?s and 1960?s on woodworking, but the projects they had were kind of dated. They didn't really match the style I was looking for in my backyard. So, I turned to the internet. I found tons of sites offering me all kinds of different sheds. Some were made of plastic, others of steel or aluminum, and even some made of wood. Again I was back to buying something for more money than I thought I could build it for. I wanted a project, that I (a beginner) could complete, without the high cost of buying a shed.

Then I found it. Or rather, my neighbor Jim did. A site that had thousands of woodworking projects to choose from. I signed up and got access to shed bases (I learned I needed one of these as well), Amish sheds, garden sheds, storage sheds, workshops, and decks. The selection is amazing. The plans were easy to follow and gave a complete shopping list for each woodwork project. All I had to do was print it out and go to the hardware store.

My first weekend was spent in gathering my materials, and getting organized. On the following weekend, I invited my neighbor Jim and his brother over to help me raise a shed. On Sunday, we finished and I made some BBQ ribs to repay my friends for their help. Anyway, that was the beginning of my love affair with woodworking.

Are you someone who enjoys working with wood? If yes, then I have great news for you. I have discovered a site that can give you instant access to over 12,000 shed plans and other great woodworking projects. It has everything from birdhouses and porch swings, to decks and wooden storage sheds to help you make your house an inviting home.

 
Top