In this day and age, you can never be too vigilant when it comes to keeping your home and family safe and secure. In the past, you might have been able to get away with leaving your doors unlocked and your windows open, but it just isn't that way anymore. Installing a home security system is one of the best ways to protect your home and family, but there are even more steps you can take to ensure that you have done all you can to keep your property and family members as secure as possible. Here are some home security habits you should establish to increase the security level in your house.
1. Always check to make sure your doors and windows are locked before you leave and before you go to bed. It's even a good idea for you keep them locked when you are home as well, even if you aren't in bed. This way you are less vulnerable to home invasions.
2. If you do leave the windows open while you sleep, as this is popular in warm climates, especially if you don't have air conditioning, be sure they are unable to be opened wide enough for someone to get inside. There should be a bar in the tracks of the windows that allow them to open just an inch or two.
3. Valuables should always be kept out of sight from windows. You do not want to provide would-be burglars a chance to window shop at your house. Not only can they see what is worth stealing but they can formulate a plan that will allow them to break in and get what they want as quickly as possible.
4. Do not hang your keys near the door. This gives people the opportunity to smash a window and grab your keys and then they can get in without leaving any other trace. Leaving your keys in plain sight of the door is simply inviting people to come in without having to work for it.
5. Be vigilant about people following you or watching your movements. If you see someone over and over again as you come home or when you come out to get the mail, it is possible that person is monitoring your comings and goings for a specific reason. At this point, it would be advisable to report your findings to the authorities and vary your routine somewhat. If would-be criminals don't know when you're going to be home and when you're not, they are less likely to take the chance on breaking into your house.
Getting a home security system installed in your house is the best single piece of advice you can follow for home security; however, creating new habits that promote home security can help you make your house even safer.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6933975